"This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links."
Despite being one of the most sensitive areas of your skin, your face is also most exposed to heat, dirt, and damage throughout the day. Things like pollution, sunlight, and dirt from the air and our hands can cause the development of blemishes, dark spots, and even speed up the signs of aging.
If you want to get rid of the tired, dull, and blemished complexion you’ve developed, you don’t really need to go for expensive dermatology treatments. Something as affordable as a facial cleanser can be a sufficient solution to combat all those skin damages.
Become a savvy skin care product shopper and get only the best facial cleanser by taking cues from this comprehensive buying guide and review.
Top 10 Facial Cleansers Comparison Table
|1. TruSkin Naturals BEST Vitamin C Daily Facial Cleanser - Restorative Anti-Aging Face Wash for All Skin Types||Deep cleansing, anti-aging||$$$||4.6|
|2. St. Ives Even & Bright Face Scrub, Pink Lemon and Mandarin Orange 6 oz ||Deep cleansing||$||4.5|
|3. Philosophy Purity Made Simple One-Step Facial Cleanser, 8 Ounce ||Deep cleansing, oil control||$$$||4.5|
|4. Foxbrim Coconut Milk & Honey Face Cleanser - Natural & Organic ||Nourishing||$$$||4.5|
|5. CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser, 12 Ounce ||Oil control||$$||4.4|
|6. Amara Organics Facial Cleanser with 15% Vitamin C, 6 fl. oz. ||Deep cleansing||$$$||4.4|
|7. Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser for All Skin Types ||Deep cleansing||$$$$||4.4|
|8. InstaNatural Vitamin C Facial Cleanser - Anti Aging, Breakout & Wrinkle Reducing Face Wash ||Deep cleansing, anti-aging, nourishing||$$$$||4.3|
|9. Biore Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser, 6.77 Ounce ||Deep cleansing||$||4.3|
|10. Clean & Clear Day/Night Cleanser 2-Pack ||Deep cleansing, exfoliating||$$||4.2|
What Makes a Good Facial Wash?
With so many varieties and brands to choose from, it’s tough to choose a facial cleanser without knowing much about them. So, what exactly makes a good facial wash and how can you be sure that the option you’ve chosen really is the best facial cleanser for you? Keep these buying tips in mind.
- Main Purpose. Facial washes come in a wide variety, and the easiest way to categorize them would be by their main purpose. Because each person is different, skin problems can vary despite being exposed to all the same elements and contaminants.
Facial cleansers can offer a number of benefits, but these are the most common:
- Deep Cleansing. Appropriate for individuals who want a superior cleanse that will clear their skin of contaminants and dirt. Deep cleansing facial cleansers often have a grainy texture so it can work into the pores to remove deep seated dirt.
- Exfoliating. Exfoliating facial cleansers remove dead skin cells, loosen white and blackheads, and encourage healthy skin cell regeneration. These have coarse textures and incorporate small soluble beads that help dislodge dirt, grime, dead skin, and blemishes.
- Whitening. Whitening facial cleansers aim to even out complexion and eliminate dark spots. They also work to reduce pigmentation caused by sun exposure so you can have a cleaner, clearer, and lighter facial skin tone.
- Anti Aging. These formulations are enriched with vitamins and minerals that combat the signs of aging. They often make use of ingredients like collagen to tighten skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Oil Control. Ideal for individuals who struggle with acne and pimple control, these facial washes are made to prevent the excessive production of oil throughout the day.
- Nourishing. Infused with vitamins, nourishing facial cleansers are intended to clean out dirt and provide skin the essential nutrients it needs for good overall health and appearance.
- Organic vs. Chemical-Based. Another thing you may want to consider when choosing a facial cleanser is whether it uses an organic formulation or a chemical-based one. While they both promise to achieve beneficial results, there are certain differences that can make or break your satisfaction.
- Chemical-Based. Chemical-based formulations use lab developed ingredients and synthetic materials to benefit your skin. They’re often highly effective when it comes to their main purpose. However, they also put users at risk of adverse reactions and side-effects.
- Organic. These formulations are made from all-natural ingredients and can be just as beneficial as synthetic formulations minus the risk of side-effects. The only issue with organic products is that they may take much longer to take effect, or they may not produce significantly pronounced changes.
- Directions for Use. Your skin changes as the day wears on. For instance, during the morning, skin tends to be more receptive towards vitamins and minerals that are topically applied. At night, it becomes much less capable of absorbing micronutrients, but it does accommodate restorative agents much more effectively.
Read the label and find out when your chosen facial cleanser is best used to achieve optimal results. You may also want to consider the number of times the product needs to be used in a day. For instance, a product that requires at least 3 uses daily can be difficult to stick to especially if you’re at work most of the day.
Top 5 Best Facial Cleanser Reviews
Combining a blend of vitamin C, aloe vera, and rosehip oil, this natural foaming facial wash aims to achieve a deep clean so you can enjoy a healthier overall glow. A high concentration of vitamin C also makes it highly effective as a daily anti-aging solution that doesn’t pose the same risk and side effects as synthetic formulations.
Unlike other products that need to be used twice or thrice a day, the TruSkin Naturals Daily Facial Cleanser’s directions indicate that a single use can be more than enough to meet your daily skin care needs; this means you can reap all the benefits of this potent cleansing product without having to find time for it throughout the day.
While the TruSkin Naturals Daily Facial Cleanser with 15% Vitamin C isn’t the cheapest option on the list, it does provide real benefits. Plus, because you only need to use the formulation once daily, the cost you spend for a single bottle can stretch up to several months before you find yourself needing to repurchase.
St. Ives is a go-to brand for buyers who want high-quality skin and self-care products at affordable prices. The brand is known for their fruity floral formulations that combine real results with pleasantly subtle fragrances. Their front runner for the best facial cleanser is the St. Ives Even & Bright Face Scrub in Pink Lemon and Mandarin Orange.
This indulgent product blends together pink lemon and mandarin orange to create a rejuvenating cleanser that lends energy and youth to an otherwise tired and dull complexion. The cleanser promises to polish away imperfections to reveal brighter, radiant skin, and uses natural exfoliants to work away impurities and blemishes.
Offering a deep cleanse and effective rejuvenation at a pocket-friendly cost, there’s very little reason not to give St. Ives Even & Bright Face Scrub in Pink Lemon and Mandarin Orange a go. So if you’re in search for the best face wash at the lowest price, this one should be right up your alley.
Looking for an alternative that’s been completely stripped of all those nasty chemicals, preservatives, and artificial ingredients? The Philosophy Purity Made Simple One-Step Facial Cleanser might be your best bet.
All natural and pleasantly pure, the Philosophy Purity Made Simple One-Step Facial Cleanser is an effective deep cleansing facial wash that also promises to control oil production. The formulation uses all natural ingredients and is stripped completely of ingredients like dyes and fragrances to reduce the chances of irritation; this makes it a particularly good choice for buyers with sensitive skin.
Although it does come at a pretty steep price, the product is effective and safe. So if you’ve got a little extra to spare, it may be the right formulation for you.
If your skin looks dull, lifeless, and tired, a nourishing facial cleanser should be your top choice. The Coconut Milk & Honey Face Cleanser is a nourishing and moisturizing facial cleanser that removes dirt, fades blemishes and prevents wrinkles.
The natural formulation combines honey and coconut milk to penetrate deep into the skin and revitalize cells for a youthful, healthy glow. It also contains high concentrations of Vitamin E, jojoba oil, and rosemary to help lock in moisture and hydrate tired skin cells.
While the facial cleanser is effective on its own, it may require the use of a toner and moisturizer from the same brand to achieve optimal results. For some buyers, this can become a tedious skin care routine that requires a little too much effort.
Oil can be a major problem for lots of people. Causing the development of blemishes, oil can make become a high maintenance problem that requires a lot of patting down with oil film and powder throughout the day.
If you find yourself struggling with an oily shine more often than not, the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser could be the answer to your worries. Considered the best face wash for oily skin, this formulation offers superior oil control that promises to keep you shine-free for up to 24 hours.
Non-irritating and non-drying, the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser is ideal for individuals who experience excessive oil production and have particularly sensitive skin. It pays to note however that the product isn’t as effective at removing makeup residue, so it may not work as a nighttime deep cleansing facial wash.