"This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links."
Your skin is your first line of defense, so there’s no wondering why it’s so easily damaged. Covering and protecting all of your other body parts, your skin is prone to many of the different dangers and risks that are present in the environment. That’s why our skin can easily become riddled with irritation like dryness and itchiness.
If you’ve recently developed dry skin, itching, or both, it might calm you to know that you don’t need to visit a dermatologist just yet. Lotions can be an affordable, easy, and accessible way to get rid of that rash – it all depends on choosing the best lotion for dry itchy skin.
Top 10 Lotions for Dry Itchy Skin Chart
Choosing Lotion for Dry Itchy Skin – a Buyer’s Guide
Not all lotions are made to cater to dry itchy skin. In fact, some formulations that are made for other purposes can make a skin rash even worse. Because flaky, dry skin is the manifestation of a problem, it’s important to make sure you choose a lotion that has the right ingredients to combat dryness and irritation.
To help you make the right choice, this short list of factors to consider should make it easier to find the best lotion for dry itchy skin.
- Active Ingredients. More often than not, skin becomes itchy as a result of dryness. The flaking skin causes irritation, and thus triggers the desire to scratch the area. The best way to resolve dry itchy skin with lotion would be to choose an option that incorporates the right moisturizing ingredients to seal in hydration and prevent both problems from getting worse.
Some of the most common active ingredients for these lotions include:
- Petrolatum. Better known as petroleum jelly, this thick, pasty, gelatinous substance coats the skin in a moist layer that penetrates the skin and hydrates its superficial layers.
- Shea Butter. This natural fat is extracted from the nut of the shea tree that is native to Africa. It’s commonly included in many skin care product formulations because of its powerful hydrating effects and benefits.
- Beeswax. In many formulations, beeswax works to heal chapped skin, which is basically what happens with dry, itchy skin. The ingredient has powerful antibacterial and antiviral properties that bring skin back to optimal health and wellness.
- Tapioca Starch. While tapioca starch is most commonly used in baking and cooking, it has also found a purpose as a skin smoothening ingredient in many moisturizing lotions for dry and itchy skin.
- Usage Indications. Many of us tend to think that lotions are all the same – that is, you rub it on your skin until it’s fully absorbed. The truth is however, that different lotion formulations are used in different ways.
This should matter to you when choosing the best lotion for dry itchy skin because it will tell you how convenient your chosen product will be. After all, if a specific option is too much of a hassle to use, you might end up not using it at all.
Some lotions are best applied in the morning, before you step out the door. These also offer some level of protection against sunlight and heat damage. Other lotions are applied at night before going to bed, and these help with the skin regeneration process that our bodies perform at night to repair damaged cells.
Finally, there are some new lotions that are applied in the shower. These are much more convenient than other options because it adds the lotion application process to your shower routine, which is much more ideal than spending more time after you leave the bathroom to care for your skin.
Top 3 Best Lotion for Dry Itchy Skin Reviews
Unlike the other lotions on this list, the Olay In-Shower Body Lotion Ultra Moisture Shea Butter is the only one that is applied during a shower. This highly convenient and super hydrating formulation has easily earned a reputation as the best lotion for dry itchy skin because of these reasons and many others.
The formula uses a high concentration of both petrolatum and shea butter, which are both very potent hydrating ingredients that prevent dryness and lock in moisture. The reason why it works so well is because while the skin is moist, it tends to absorb ingredients more easily. Its in-shower usage indication makes it very easy to seep into the skin, thus increasing its efficacy.
Finally, the Olay In-Shower Body Lotion Ultra Moisture Shea Butter is also one of the fastest acting lotions available. Able to make skin 60% smoother and softer in just 5 days of use, it’s definitely an option for people who want fast, safe, and effective results.
Another close contender on the list of the best lotions for dry, itchy skin is O’Keeffe’s Skin Repair Pump Bottle Body Lotion. This lotion is most ideal for people who have severely itchy and dry skin, and those who experience flare ups during certain situations.
This formulation can moisturize skin for up to 48 hours after application, making it a good choice for people who want long lasting, reliable results. It’s also easily absorbed into the skin, leaving no residual feelings of stickiness for maximum comfort and ease.
The strong formula is one of the best when it comes to hydrating, and is often prescribed for people who have skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It’s also one of the top choices for those who have diabetes as it can heal skin and provide the necessary hydration for optimal skin functioning and health.
Curel is one of the most popular brands in skin care, and their Itch Defense Lotion is a great alternative for people who want relief against an incessant itch. This lotion works by soothing the skin and rebalancing ceramides in the skin to prevent any more irritation from occuring.
What makes Curel Itch Defense Lotion a wonderful choice is the fact that it can be used on and by a wide range of consumers. The formula is safe and gentle enough to use on skin and it’s even pediatrician recommended for babies as small as 6 months of age.
So if you want a purchase that will work well and safely for all members of your household, the Curel Itch Defense Lotion is the right choice that will provide the greatest value for your money.