"This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links."
Traditional mouthwashes have a bad reputation, and with good reason: many are ineffective and burn your mouth due to the alcohol and other strong ingredients, which doesn’t exactly make you feel excited to use them every time you want to freshen your breath.
Natural mouthwashes are much more effective and pleasant to use, which is why we want to share our list of the top 10 products with you.
Not sure what to look for as you shop? Our guide provides you with all of the information you need to choose the best natural mouthwash for your oral care needs.
Top 10 Natural Mouthwashes Table
Ingredients You Don’t Want
We provided you with a list of some wonderful natural mouthwashes, but it is still important for you to understand what to avoid.
- Alcohol. This ingredient not only burns when you swish, but it also dries out your mouth. A damp mouth with saliva is positive since it helps you flush out bacteria, but that can’t happen if your mouth is dry and the more bacteria that accumulate, the fouler your breath will be.
Since it only temporarily helps you eliminate bad breath, you’re much better off finding a product that will provide you with results all day long – a natural mouthwash!
- Sugar. Sugar is bad news for your teeth, and while it is one way to sweeten up mouthwash, there are natural alternatives that can sweeten without destroying your tooth enamel.
- Sulfates. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is an ingredient that many prefer to avoid these days. While it may help loosen plaque on your teeth, it can also cause canker sores and dry mouth (just like alcohol), which subsequently leads to bad breath!
- Artificial Colors or Flavors. The point of searching for the best natural mouthwash is to find one that doesn’t contain any fake ingredients whipped up in a lab somewhere.
The Good Ingredients
So, what do you want to see in a natural mouthwash?
- Essential Oils. Tea tree oil has a strong odor and flavor, and thanks to its amazing antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, it works wonders on the bacteria in your mouth.
Peppermint is a bit more pleasant than tea tree oil for some, and it also cools the mouth and relieves sore jaw muscles.
Do you like cinnamon? Great, because cinnamon essential oil has antibacterial properties just like tea tree oil does.
A few other oils you will typically see in natural mouthwash formulas include rosemary, clove, eucalyptus, and lemon.
- Coconut Oil. Another oil you can use when it comes to cleaning your teeth and freshening your breath is coconut oil. For those of you who aren’t familiar with it, the technique is called “oil pulling, ” and it requires using a product like Lauren Naturals Coconut Oil Swish or even regular coconut oil.
Not only does it help whiten your teeth but it also helps freshen your breath, especially if it contains an essential oil like peppermint or tea tree.
- Aloe Vera. Do you have a dry mouth? Give it a dose of moisture with a natural mouthwash containing Aloe Vera.
This ingredient is extremely hydrating, which is why it is so popular in skin care products. Aloe Vera Juice is even safe to drink!
Top 3 Best Natural Mouthwash Reviews
Since many want to know what is in each mouthwash, we have included the list of ingredients for your reference.
If you have sore gums or suffer from dry mouth, Nature’s Answer might just be the answer to your mouthwash prayers.
As you can see, there is cinnamon in it, plus a mixture of essential oils that give it a very herbal taste. It will take some getting used to if this is your first natural mouthwash, but hang in there because once you get used to it, the benefits are great!
This unique mouthwash contains something that we love to see in wrinkle cream, and that is coenzyme Q10 (a.k.a. CoQ10). What is it doing in a mouthwash, you ask?
Actually, this ingredient might be effective when treating gum disease, so those of you with gum issues might benefit greatly from this particular product.
If any of you prefer a natural product that is also certified organic, then Essential Oxygen’s mouthwash is perfect.
The dominant flavor of this one is peppermint, but it contains a mixture of essential oils as you can see in the “Inactive Ingredients” section.
Using this will not only help keep your breath fresher, but it will also work to make your teeth whiter, your gums healthier, reduce tartar, and prevent canker sores.
Those with a dry mouth will also appreciate the Aloe Vera in the formula.
The results speak for themselves! If you don’t suffer from gum-related issues and just need an everyday mouthwash, this is the one for you.
Oral Essentials is another great everyday mouthwash for general use. It is slightly more expensive than Essential Oxygen’s product, and while it doesn’t have the organic certification, it still seems to be the more popular product of the two.
Their goal is to help keep a healthy environment in your mouth, and their unique ingredients have a lot to offer. The essential oils and Aloe Vera are both present, but they also added in some Dead Sea salt to provide a dose of natural minerals to your tooth enamel.
Give it two weeks, and you should notice a huge difference. It might not work for everyone, but its popularity is a sure sign that most have success with it. We did, too!