"This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links."
If you often find yourself looking oily before the day even ends, you should consider buying yourself face powder. These cosmetic products are made to keep you looking fresh and shine-free throughout the day with nothing more than a pat on the nose and a glide across your t-zone.
While buying powder for daily use is one thing, buying face powder for acne prone skin is another. If you suffer from acne, you already know that exposing your skin to any cosmetic product that uses the wrong ingredients can mean the difference between clear skin and your latest break-out. Wondering which option is the best powder for acne prone skin? Here we compare and review the top picks on the market to help you land a solid, safe choice.
Top 10 Powders for Acne Prone Skin Comparison Table
|1. Mineral Fusion Pressed Powder Foundation, Warm 1 ||Pressed||$$$$||4.5|
|2. Innisfree No sebum mineral powder ||Loose||$||4.5|
|3. Pur Minerals 4-In-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup Light, 0.28 Ounce ||Pressed||$$$||4.5|
|4. L'Oréal Paris True Match Loose Powder Mineral Foundation, Natural Beige, 0.35 oz. ||Loose||$$||4.4|
|5. Neutrogena Skinclearing Mineral Powder, Natural Ivory 20, .38 Oz. ||Pressed||$$||4.4|
|6. Pure Minerals Matte Loose Foundation Powder, Medium Beige – 8 gram ||Loose||$$||4.3|
|7. L'Oréal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Powder, Classic Beige, 0.33 oz. ||Pressed||$$||4.3|
|8. Maybelline New York Fit Me! Powder, 220 Natural Beige, 0.3 Ounce ||Pressed||$||4.0|
|9. Bare Escentuals BareMinerals Mineral Foundation MATTE SPF15 FAIRLY LIGHT 6g Large ||Loose||$$$$||3.9|
|10. Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Makeup Airbrushing Pressed Powder SPF 30, Translucent, 0.26 oz. ||Pressed||$$||3.7|
Finding the Best Face Powder for Acne Prone Skin
People with acne know better than to randomly pick up products from store shelves – especially if these products are going to be used on their skin. Because acne prone skin can be particularly sensitive to certain ingredients in skin care and cosmetic products, it’s only wise to make sure you check the labels first and make sure what you’re buying won’t cause a flare-up.
Take these tips with you when you go out in search of the best face powder for acne prone skin to steer clear of a potential breakout.
- Check the Formulation. Everyone is different, so the triggers for acne can also vary from person to person. Despite this, however, certain cosmetic and skin care ingredients are well-known triggers across all individuals with acne prone skin.
Before settling on a decision, make sure to check the formulation to make sure these ingredients aren’t part of the list:
- Talc. Talc is commonly incorporated into cosmetic products like powders because they prevent the skin from producing too much oil. For acne prone skin, talc can cause severe dryness and irritation leading to further exacerbation of blemishes, pimples, and pustules.
- Acetylated Lanolin. Lanolin is a natural chemical produced by our skin to make it soft and smooth. While it can be beneficial for some, synthetic lanolin that’s applied directly on to the skin has potent comedogenic properties. That is, it’s very likely to clog pores.
- D & C Red. Face powder comes in a variety of colors to suit different skin tones. To achieve different powder shades, manufacturing companies combine different base colors including red, blue, brown, and yellow, to name a few. D & C Red is a typical pigment found in face powders and is known to particularly cause the clogging of pores which is why it’s something you should look out for when you make your purchase.
- Choose the Right Applicator. Face powders can come with one of two different applicators – a brush or a puff. The reason why it’s important to take note of the included applicator is that it will make direct contact with your acne prone skin.
Soft bristled brushes are much less abrasive on the skin, but synthetic bristles can also cause some irritation. Powder puffs with soft, fluffy textures are better suited for acne prone skin compared to stiff foam pads, but they can make it difficult to evenly apply the powder itself.
Weigh your options, consider your preference, and decide which choice works best for your skin and convenience.
- Sheer vs. Matte. Face powders commonly come in two varieties – sheer and matte. For individuals with acne, matte powders are always the go-to choice because they give a much smoother, porcelain finish that prevents oil from accumulating on the skin.
If you prefer a dewy glow however, sheer face powder might suit your preferences better. Just be sure to reapply more throughout the day as sheer powders are less efficient at oil management.
Top 3 Best Powder for Acne Prone Skin Reviews
The Mineral Fusion Pressed Powder Foundation has won over buyers’ hearts as the best powder for acne prone skin for several good reasons. The product puts together safe and gentle ingredients that help achieve a naturally matte look without clogging pores or irritating sensitive skin.
The powder boasts flawless buildable coverage that can last up to 8 hours a day. The fine powder’s consistency is perfect for smoothing out pores, imperfections, and fine lines, giving you a perfect airbrushed finish that can stand on its own or as a setting powder for liquid foundation.
What makes it particularly ideal for individuals with sensitive, acne prone skin is the fact that it makes use of aloe vera, cucumber, and licorice root to help guarantee safe and side-effect free usage.
Korean cosmetics are taking over the skincare and beauty market with their gentle, effective, and top quality products that retail for much less than Western brands. Innisfree is one of the most popular Korean cosmetic brands to date, offering a wide range of products made to help you achieve a flawless, natural, youthful glow.
The Innisfree No Sebum Mineral Powder is a natural mineral powder with soothing mint. This unique formulation makes it great at keeping irritation, sensitivity, and break outs at bay. It also comes with a soft powder puff that’s very gentle on the skin, minimizing friction and abrasion during application.
Mild, safe, and affordable, the Innisfree No Sebum Mineral Powder does have one flaw, and that is that it comes in a basic white powder shade. There are no skin tones to choose from, so it may not create a very natural look especially if you have darker skin.
Formulated with silica which absorbs excess oil, and shea butter which conditions the skin to make it smooth and soft, the Pur Minerals 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup is a top choice for buyers with acne prone skin. This top rated face powder boasts a high concentration of Vitamin E – an essential micronutrient that guarantees the health of sensitive skin.
Aside from giving clean, smooth, and flawless coverage, the powder also works effectively as protection from sun exposure. For anyone who has ever had to deal with acne, this proves to be a major plus point in preventing future break outs and flare ups.
The only downside? The cost. With a price that’s up to 3 times that of other face powders, some buyers find the Pur Minerals 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup an impractical choice unless you have extra cash to spare.