Hormones are regulatory substances that oversee a lot of the different physiological functions our bodies perform. The slightest change to our hormonal balance can result in major changes that can present themselves in a multitude of ways. The most common manifestation of hormonal change is the development of acne.
Commonly occurring in teenagers or women during certain points of their menstrual cycle, acne can be painful on top of being unsightly. If you are currently suffering through an episode of an acne break out, find the best treatment for hormonal acne by checking out this comprehensive guide.
Top 10 Hormonal Acne Treatments
|Picture||Name||Treatment Form||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Facial Cleansing Pads||Pads||$||4.3|
|2. The Acne.org Regimen - Complete Acne Treatment||Cleanser, medicated solution, moisturizer||$$$$||4.3|
|3. DIM 200mg Plus BioPerine||Supplement||$$||4.3|
|4. Neutralyze Moderate to Severe Acne Spot Treatment||Serum||$$$||4.1|
|5. Relogy Natural Acne Treatment Kit||Treatment foam, lotion||$$$||3.9|
|6. Retseliney Acne Face Wash & Oil Control||Facial wash||$$||3.7|
|7. InstaNatural Skin Clearing Spot Treatment||Drying solution||$||3.7|
|8. Acne Treatment – Acne pads that contain alpha beta||Pads||$$$||3.5|
|9. Pure Body Naturals Clear Complexion Serum & Pore Minimizer||Serum||$$||3.3|
|10. UltraClear Acne & Blemish Spot Treatment Cream for Face||Cream||$$||3.2|
Things to Consider When Buying Treatment for Hormonal Acne
Not all acne treatments will give you the best results. Aside from the fact that each formulation is different, your skin is unique, which means finding the right product depends on how well you’re able to find the ideal partner for your skin’s specific needs.
Instead of making guesses when you visit the grocery store, keep these factors in mind to help you make an enlightened choice that won’t put your money to waste.
- Active Ingredient. Acne treatments don’t just work with magic. The best treatment for hormonal acne should include an active ingredient that targets either the symptoms of the issue or the cause of the acne itself. Depending on what your skin needs and how your body responds to certain components, it’s important that you select a product that uses an active ingredient that will work well for your needs.
Some of the most common active ingredients found in acne treatment are:
- Salicylic Acid. Considered by many as the most effective solution against acne and blemishes, salicylic acid helps unclog pores to prevent pimples from developing. It’s important to keep in mind though that salicylic acid will only remain effective as long as it’s in use. Ceasing the application of SA will reclog pores and cause acne to flare up and return.
- Benzoyl Peroxide. This ingredient also works to unclog pores and helps keep acne causing bacteria at bay. Much like salicylic acid, stopping the use of benzoyl peroxide could cause acne to return.
- Sulfur. Numerous acne treatments incorporate sulfur to prevent excessive oil production. While it can be effective on some individuals, it pays to keep in mind that stripping the skin of too much oil could result to greater complications in the long run.
- Tea Tree Oil. Packed with antioxidants for anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory purposes, tea tree oil, is a popular natural ingredient that’s incorporated into most acne treatments on the market today.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids. Working to remove dead skin cells and other debris from the skin, AHAs can deeply exfoliate to limit the chances of clogging the user’s pores. The most common AHAs are lactic acid, which can be found in most store bought acne treatments.
- Sensitive Skin. Do you have sensitive skin? Acne that affects sensitive skin types can be much harder to deal with simply because the skin could experience adverse reactions with the wrong type of acne treatment. For instance, salicylic acid – which is a relatively common ingredient – could cause severe irritation and redness for some individuals.
If you have particularly sensitive skin, it would be in your best interest to invest in a treatment that will fight off the acne without compromising the health and safety of your skin. Often, these products are the ones that are made with all-natural ingredients, as organic components are much less likely to cause adverse reactions and side effects.
Top 3 Best Treatment for Hormonal Acne Reviews
Specializing in skin care products, Aveeno has become a trusted brand throughout the years. Their Clear Complexion Daily Cleansing Pads are a commonly considered the best treatment for hormonal acne for several good reasons.
Firstly, the pads are pre-moistened with the treatment solution so that you won’t have to go through the process of soaking the pads yourself. Each pad is dual textured, with a smooth side for application and a slightly grainy side for exfoliating.
Secondly, the solution is very mild despite working wonders to fight acne. Enriched with salicylic acid, the foaming formula clears out existing blemishes and prevents them from recurring altogether.
Lastly, Aveeno Active Naturals Clear Complexion Daily Cleansing Pads is very affordable. This product is definitely something you should have in handy not only for acne breakouts but also for the occasional lone blemish.
Acne.org is a juggernaut in the acne treatment market, and develops products specifically for the prevention and relief of different types of acne. Their most popular product to date is the Complete Acne Treatment Kit which includes three different solutions that come together to provide users complete care and protection against hormonal acne.
The kit includes three solutions – a cleanser, a medicated treatment solution, and a moisturizer. The cleanser contains natural plant extracts that keep the skin free from residual oil and dirt. The medicated treatment solution contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide which prevents the clogging of pores. Finally, the moisturizer contains organic jojoba and Pentavitin which ensure that the skin’s retains optimal moisture levels.
Effective and elaborate, The Acne.Org Regimen – Complete Acne Treatment Big Kit can be suitable for users who don’t mind spending more time and money for their acne treatment routine.
Because acne is a hormonal problem, addressing the issue from inside your body by regulating hormone production will help end it more effectively. At least, that’s how it works for some people. That said, the Smoky Mountain Naturals DIM + BioPerine Extra Strength Formula is a prime product for those seeking a long-term solution that promises to restore normal hormonal levels and reduce acne.
The Smoky Mountain Naturals DIM + BioPerine Extra Strength Formula is an all-natural supplement that balances estrogen levels to stop an acne flare up. The supplement is completely gluten, dairy, and soy free which makes it accessible and safe for people with specific dietary restrictions.
The only issue that some users have with this supplement is that it may not be efficient enough to curb acne on its own. Using it in tandem with a topical treatment may provide better results.